Saturday, August 25, 2012

Worldbuilding, and also my dog eats salad.

So...I've been feeling reinvigorated re: the princess story, but the other day I tried to do some worldbuilding and it just...did not work.

I mean, I came up with some interesting ideas. Actually, some totally amazing ideas. The problem is, they don't fit at ALL with the "seed" or "essence" of the princess story that I see in my head. I'm feeling seriously frustrated and I don't really know what to do.

I'm actually tempted to say forget the worldbuilding, and try to hash out some kind of plot outline in the hopes that that jogs my mind. Actually, when I think about it, that plan seems much, much more appealing. I'm beginning to suspect that I will have to do a prelim outline, see how that affects the world/what ideas that sparks, and then go back and adjust the plot if necessary.

I know that skimping on worldbuilding is extremely problematic for a number of reasons. I'm not really skimping, just...postponing. I don't know. I'm confused.

No comments:

Post a Comment