Thursday, September 16, 2010

More Inspiration...This Time On the Bus

I was riding the bus to school this morning, and I was pretty spaced out. I was tired, didn't feel like reading...you know what I mean. Anyway. So as I was sitting there, suddenly I had a thought.

Actually, it was more along the lines of seeing a scene in my head. There was a woman. She was dueling (with swords, of course) with another man. People were watching intensely. She has the perfect opportunity for a kill; she doesn't take it. She bonks the guy on the head with the hilt of her sword and dismisses her audience with something along the lines of "I refuse to kill any more promising young men for your amusement".
It's going to be a gladiator-type situation. I could go on, but I won't because I really need to focus on one idea at a time now, especially as I get so close to writing this one. But I might end up working on this idea and the sequel (of this current book) concurrently. We'll see.

It's always been interesting to me to see how authors get their ideas for books. One of the answers I've seen fairly frequently is that there is a character who "talks" to the author. Tells them about him or herself. Berates the author when the writing is not to his or her liking.
Now, I actually don't think that's crazy, now that I'm beginning to write and to spend so much time with the same characters. They do come to life. But I think, as a visual person, my ideas tend to be more of the "looking through the window" type. I can see what's happening and what's being said as if I were there, but there is no interaction between me and the characters. They're more like daydreams than anything else I can think of at the moment.

Sherwood Smith describes a similar experience in writing several of her books. So I'm not a total freak.

No comments:

Post a Comment