Saturday, September 25, 2010

I'm a Hypocrite Who Loves Her Books (and Her Beauty Sleep)

Ach. I wrote that whole long rant about discipline and then I didn't write for two days. But honestly, you have to balance discipline and commitment with getting enough sleep to function the next day.

So today I'm going to talk about reading, because I don't have much to say about writing. Besides, after all, every writer must also be a reader.

I think you should read what you enjoy. I mean sure, you should try new things, expand your horizons, and read the classics. But the truth is you should never read something that is just so boring that you can't get through it. It's helpful to learn from the masters, but if you can't even bear to read it you're not going to learn much anyway. And there are writers of genre fiction that tell a story so well that it doesn't matter that it's not the Great American Novel. It's a good story that makes you want to read more.

In the end, that's the most important thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment