Monday, August 19, 2013

In which I bribe myself with stickers

I'm a little late with this one, sorry.

I've been having trouble with Princess lately. That is, I haven't been writing as much as I wanted to. (Also haven't been updating, whoops).

The problem isn't that I don't enjoy the project, or don't enjoy writing. I do. I'm thinking that maybe it's not as good as the Princess I saw in my head, but that's something I always think, so best just to ignore it and press on.

What is happening is that I'm coming up with lots of fantastic reasons why I don't have time to write right now. Which is silly, because of course I could make time. Do I really need to reorganize my closet right now? Nope.

So what's the solution? Bribe myself with stickers.

Every day I write, I get a sticker. When I have 10 stickers, I get a prize. When I have 25 stickers, bigger prize. Then 50, then 75, and so on and so forth. Mostly the prizes consist of allowing myself to buy things I've been wanting. At the moment those things are mostly items of clothing, because I really don't have room to buy lots of books and my TBR pile is out of control anyway. And the other things I want cost far too much to use as prizes.

We'll see how this goes. It's a bit juvenile but I think I just need an extra push to get going. Once I'm in the habit of writing every day, it will go easier. I hope.

2 comments:

  1. Good luck - I hope it works!

    So, my plan to motivate you via nagging wasn't working, eh?

    I used a variety of methods to motivate myself:
    1) guilt - always popular, not very effective
    2) bribery - similar to your method, sans stickers
    3) trickery - "write only one sentence a day" (it always turns into more - I totally stole this from someone at Saucy Ink. Bre, perhaps?)
    4) bartering - 100 words=1 turn of Civ IV
    5) substitution - either write words or go [clean something], [mow the lawn], [fill in the blank]

    Keep moving, you'll get there!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like 3 - that's a good one!

      I would do 4 but it never works out - I always end up getting caught up in the other thing and not writing more words :)

      5 is the technique I use to get ideas when I'm stuck. Works like a charm!

      Delete