Saturday, September 29, 2012

Wonderful things are happening...

I have FINALLY worked out a believable magic system for Princess!! I'd tried a couple of times already and come up with something I thought worked, but then this morning I was sort of daydreaming about it and it all finally came together, and it is SO much better than before.

Now I have magic that is closely tied to blood (because magic is itself the blood of the earth), and a plausible reason for why only one family in this area of the world has it, and why Kel ends up having stronger magic than the rest of her relatives, and why succession is matrilineal. (Blogger is telling me this is not a word. It's totally a word!) I also have a good overarching problem for the series (oh yes, there will be more than one princess book). So while the problem of the first book is getting the kingdom back, lurking in the back will be the awakening magic and all the problems it could lead to...which will become more of the focus of the second (and third?) books.

Sometimes when I'm trying to come up with an idea, it feels like I'm struggling up a hill. I'm thinking of things, but they don't make a lot of sense, or they're too boring, or worst of all, they are perfectly good ideas but just aren't "right" for the project I have in mind. Those are not fun times. Those are the times in which you have worldbuilding fail.

Other times, I feel like one idea sparks another which sparks another which sparks another, to the point where I can hardly keep up, and they all fit together perfectly with each other and with things that I've come up with before. It feels like I'm running full speed down a hill, and it feels fantastic.

This is one of those times :)

No comments:

Post a Comment